Usagi Sailor Moon - Link Select

September 30, 2015

Five Days in Tokyo


Before moving to Japan to live I couldn't have imagined a place I wanted to be in more than Tokyo. Each of our first two trips to Japan, I fell head over heels in love with the big city and its electric buzz. Being lost in a sea of people at Shinjuku Station, cramming onto a packed train car of the Yamanote-sen, catching a glimpse of the impossibly fashionable residents in the coolest neighbourhoods of Koenji, Shimokitazawa and Harajuku - I wanted to be amongst it. 

So when I found out that we would be living all the way down south in Kyushu, one of my first thoughts was how far away from all the action I'd be. Luckily, it turns out that Fukuoka City is full of action AND Tokyo is just a quick 1.5 hour flight away.

I wasn't really able to take full advantage of this fact until last year when I changed jobs and my brother moved to Tokyo. Now I am extremely lucky to have a flexible schedule to accommodate small holidays and a place to stay in Tokyo (plus a family member in the same country for those homesick-times).

This time it was a combination of missing family and wanting to visit the Tokyo Art Book Fair that brought me across the country to Tokyo for 5 days. I spent my time hitting the pavement in some of my favourite spots: Kichijoji, Koenji, Harajuku, Shibuya, Daikanyama; As well as a day trip with my brother and his girlfriend to Odaiba (my first time to see it). On my final day I went to the Art Book Fair and was very impressed with the event, picking up a few small souvenirs and losing my mind over all of the wonderful self-published zines, books and prints that filled the venue. 

Here are some of my snaps from the trip.





























I had a great little stay in Tokyo but I've also come to realise that it's no longer my ideal spot to live. After more than four years of living in Japan, big city crowds and packed trains aren't a novelty and it's no fun when you look up and all you see is a sky full of towering buildings. When the plane touched down back in Fukuoka I was happy to be home. Still, I always treasure my short trips to Tokyo and the many forms of inspiration that the city leaves me with.

Thanks Tokyo, see you again soon xx


2 comments:

  1. I love this!!
    Your photographs are so beautiful, what camera do you use if you don't mind me asking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Naomi. I actually just got a new camera after my trip to Tokyo so I'm now using a Sony RX-100 M3, which I am absolutely loving. Highly recommend if you're in the market for a new camera. But the photos in this post are from my old camera - a Pentax Q10 - and from my iPhone!

    ReplyDelete