Usagi Sailor Moon - Link Select

April 23, 2013

The End of Winter in Fukuoka: Kakigoya, Setsubun, Yanagawa


I don't think these photos are even relevant anymore, they're that old. Trying to catch up with blogging. To tell the truth, instagram has become a rather distracting force. 

These photos are a few left overs from January and February this year. 


♡Kakigoya (Oyster Huts) in Itoshima
During winter, lots of plastic huts for BBQ'ing oysters are set up on the coastline in Itoshima City, Fukuoka Prefecture. They are called kakigoya, and we went to one for the first time this winter. It was really fun, and the first time I've properly tried oysters. You buy the fresh oysters by the crate-full and cook them yourselves on the BBQ - waiting for them to pop before you crack them open. A good Fukuoka winter experience. 







Setsubun Festival at Kushida Jinja
I had high hopes for this big annual festival at one of my favourite shrines in Fukuoka - Kushida Jinja. We took my brother who was visiting from Tokyo for the weekend, but the event was so ridiculously full of people that it wasn't much fun. Not recommended! But we still had a good weekend. 






Boat Ride in Yanagawa
Yanagawa City is about an hour's drive from Fukuoka City, and is famous for its boat tours down scenic canals. We went in winter, so we got to ride a kotatsufune - a boat with a heated blanket under the table. The men steering the boats sing old enka tunes for you as you drift down the water through the traditional little town. We went just before cherry blossom season, but there were some beautiful plum blossoms out. 






Momoyo Surprise Birthday Party
Self explanatory, perhaps. We went to our friends' house to watch the baseball on a big screen projector and eat oden. But, seeing as it was close to our host's birthday, we brought balloons, presents and cake and turned it into a surprise birthday party. Really fun times. 



That's definitely the abridged version, but I want to move onward to better (more recent) tales.

Cherry blossom 2013 photo attack coming next. 

x

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad I found your blog. I went to Japan when I was 15 (I'm 21 now) and I miss it so much! Your posts are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Marlee :) Whereabouts in Japan were you?

    ReplyDelete