Usagi Sailor Moon - Link Select

May 1, 2012

Recycle Shop Find: First Grade School Books


Golden Week is here and it is great! My bosses have gone abroad for the entire GW holidays, which means I'm currently in the middle of a 9-day no work stretch. It is amazing. On the weekend we went on a road-trip to Yamaguchi with a group of friends. We spent three days at their holiday cabin in the mountains- picking and drying tea leaves, digging takenoko (edible young bamboo), fishing, cooking, eating, making chopsticks from fresh bamboo and more. I took a disposable camera, so the photos are on their way.

On our way home, we stopped off at a wonderful recycle shop. Kam and I picked up a few things, including these old Japanese school books. They are books for 1st year students, maybe from the 1950s. I really, really love the illustrations.



Here are some close-ups of some of my favourite illustrations in the two books...





The outfits and haircuts are so great! Girls with undercuts, bows, pretty dresses and cute socks. Amazing.







I also bought the pretty hair ornament on the left, and was given the pink flower clip on the right for free from the old man who owned the recycle shop. The amber coloured hair ornament is used when wearing a kimono, and it has a candy-like texture. I love it! 


Yamaguchi and more photos will be on their way in a week or so. Now, I'm off to do some more Golden Week relaxing!

x

Post a Comment