Usagi Sailor Moon - Link Select

August 30, 2011

Sunday Ride: Daimyo and Gofukumachi



On Sunday, Kam and I waited 'til the morning sun had calmed down a little, and took our bikes for a nice little tour of the city. As he is working full time, Kamil hasn't had as much time as me to explore some areas of our new city, so I decided to start off by showing him around one of my favourite districts- Daimyo...




I promise that one day soon I will take the camera to Daimyo and take photos of all the amazing shops and alleys there. It has a really nice feel to it, and is one of my favourite areas of Fukuoka City so far.

After riding around the streets there, we took a nice route (in the afternoon rain) through Tenjin and Hakata to Gofukumachi- an area full of really beautiful, old shrines. I had actually visited this area for the first time one day earlier, as I had come along to help out and observe the Fukuoka Now team shooting some photos for the next issue. I knew I wanted to come back for a touristy look around, and I knew Kamil would love it, so we wasted no time.

I'm really sorry, but I didn't catch the names of the shrines we visited. We were just wandering around admiring everything in blissful ignorance...

 

This daibutsu ('Big Buddah') was really awesome. You could walk inside, and take the journey through hell to paradise. This consisted of a dark tunnel lined with paintings of the different types of hell, with a creepy voice-over, and to get out you had to walk completely in the dark through a narrow, winding tunnel. It was probably scarier for us because we went in without any idea what we was going on, so we were really confused/scared when navigating in the pitch black of the tunnel...




The following temple was actually Japan's first Buddhist Zen Temple to be built. It's gorgeous and wooden, and surrounded by beautiful gardens...



The streets around here are really magical, with ancient gates and traditional roofs peeping over the tops of said gates...




After our temple tour, we rode our bikes all the way home. A really beautiful, peaceful afternoon on the whole, and another element of this city that I love. 

xx 

Post a Comment