Usagi Sailor Moon - Link Select

August 20, 2011

Hakata Wandering: Nagasaki Sara Udon, Nakasu River, Yatai


On Friday night, I met Kamil after work and we went out to explore a new area of the city which we have heard lots about- Hakata. It was our first time arriving at Hakata Station (although I passed through briefly when I first arrived in Fukuoka, three weeks ago), and we couldn't believe how big the station was from the outside...



We went to a really amazing little restaurant called Pikaichi. I read about it on the Fukuoka Now website. Right now I am volunteering on a project at the magazine, writing up summaries of 152 back issues for the purpose of online archiving. I'm really enjoying the project, learning a lot about Fukuoka city in the process, and I've also been doing 'native check' and editing on new articles for the latest issue. It's really good that I'm able to put some of the editing skills I acquired when running/editing the Pigeonhole blog to use, and it makes me even more certain that this is the direction I want to head in career wise. So right now I am just learning as much as I can from Fukuoka Now magazine, and having a great time being busy.

So, back to Friday night! I used google maps on my trusty iPhone to navigate us to the restaurant, which was really great...


Pikaichi's specialty is a Nagasaki style udon dish- Sara Udon. The chef has been preparing this dish for 33 years and it was really amazing...



We then took a stroll towards Canal City- a huge shopping mall in Hakata which has canals inside the premises. On the way we saw some of the famous food stalls lining the streets...


I didn't get many good photos of Canal City this time, but I'm sure we'll go back soon and I will do better! It's a pretty cool design for a shopping mall.


Afterwards, we kept wandering towards the Haruyoshi area, and took a lovely walk up the Nakasu River.


Here, the lively, bright food stands along the river are so busy that you have to wait on little stools for someone to finish before you can take your spot...


 As we'd already had dinner, we decided to take a seat and share an Asahi. The view was surreal, and coming from Australia where street drinking is very illegal, I felt a little naughty sitting on a stool on the sidewalk in such a public place, sipping a beer. But it is completely legal here- I've seen businessmen walking through the city sipping beer from a can like it's coca cola. I guess it's something I'll get used to!




As we were crossing back over to Tenjin side, a man was playing the sax on the bridge, and we stopped to look back down the river and enjoy the music, and watch the neon lights reflecting on the water. At times like this, we can't believe how lucky we are right now.

I took a (slightly wobbly) video to share with my Mum, as Moon River is one of her favourite songs...


A really dreamy night altogether x

Post a Comment